Taking the huge leap into middle school is so exciting! There is a whole new world to experience at this scholastic level. And, just as the right backpack, writing utensils and calculator can make that experience more enjoyable, the correct reading and writing habits can make the learning experience more fruitful and less stressful. This course is filled with valuable information to instill the necessary skills and habits for successful writing and reading in middle school and beyond. Bolstering a student’s confidence in their educational skills is essential to hitting the ground running! Please sign up now to give your child a great head start to their middle school career.
A two day, fun, and interactive workshop with a focus on the following:
- Prewriting - Implementing the habits of thinking and organizing before putting pen to paper.
- Developing Your Writer’s Voice - Being purposeful with each word you write
- Figurative Language - Filling your “writer’s toolbelt” with figures of speech to make your output more effective, persuasive, and impactful.
- Reading With a Purpose - Making main point, author’s purpose, mood, tone and author’s voice clear in everything that you read.
- Strategy Development - Students will create a “game plan” for success for their middle school years. We will also put a plan in place for summer assignments.
This two day course is filled with valuable information to instill the necessary skills and habits for successful writing and reading in middle school and beyond. The transition from elementary to middle school can be daunting in a variety of ways, so bolstering a student’s confidence in their reading and writing habits is essential to hitting the ground running!
Where: Online. Students will log into a virtual classroom with a live instructor. From the comfort and safety of their own home, students will be able to interact with fellow classmates and the instructor while developing new and necessary scholastic habits!
When: Wednesday, June 26th & Friday, June 28th. Both classes will be held from 10:30am - 12:00pm.
Who: Anyone that is entering sixth grade and wants to enhance her/his skills and habits. No need to be in town, our virtual classroom allows anyone from anywhere to be a part of our course...so invite your friends and family from all over!!
About the Instructor: John Barger has been a middle school Language Arts teacher in private schools for nearly twenty years. He also assists high school students in honing their reading and writing skills for the ACT/SAT and beyond. He has developed a proven system that, if implemented at an early stage in a student’s scholastic career, can set her/him up for success in reading and writing across all subjects in middle school, high school and beyond.